Friday 10 May 2013

SELF STATEMENT


 I wanted to do an Illustration degree when I enrolled in a Foundation course in Cardiff. Before I wasn’t sure what subject I was going to do but knew my future ambition was always going to involve art. Ever since I enrolled I have been inspired by many new forms. In particular during a study visit to London I went to the illustration agency, YCN and learned a lot about the industry and the process of becoming an illustrator. From that moment forward I was sure I wanted to pursue illustration as a career. The reason I love illustration is because it has so many career choices, so many different styles of illustrations that inspire me. I enjoy using my imagination to express my art and create fictional characters and images. I’m very opening minded and ambitious to learn new methods, techniques and different mediums to widen my style and skills.

 My aim in this degree and in the future, is to be inspired by others and acknowledge any thing that can be transformed into art. I would like to help spread inspiration and creativity to anyone and everyone because art is a very colourful factor in life.

I have been influenced by many artists and illustrators and have turned to their artwork for artistic stimulation. For example artists like; Iain Macarthur, Sara Blake, Sachin Teng, Nanami Cowdroy and many more. I still get inspired by new artists and continue to do visual research and study to help improve my own artwork. My long time dream to be along side all of these artists so people in the future would be influenced by my work.

 The comparison between the Foundation course in Cardiff and the Plymouth illustration course was very different. At first I much preferred my previous degree because I felt it was more comfortable and liked how they structured things. I based a lot of my images at the time using media such as ink and water colours in a large scale, which made my work very abstract and expressive.

  When I first began the illustration course I felt new and not exactly myself, which now I think was normal since I was moving quite far away from home living in a new environment. I also felt, that the first couple of briefs, my style and the way I approached things seemed different. I thought of this as a negative instinctively because I wasn’t used to the sudden change. However I later adapted my way of illustrating things by using pen and Photoshop. My skills using the Photoshop program have increased a lot and ambitious to learn more and develop them. Over all I have and grown to like and enjoyed this illustration course. Hopefully someday I could go back to using ink and watercolours to create images or even collaborate with my new skills in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment